Thursday, July 24, 2014

Admitting You're a Tourist

(I'm home... but my trip was so satisfying and exhausting that I had trouble keeping up with blogging.  Now, with a fresh perspective and 750 photos... I continue to recount my amazing trip!  Also, you can click on any of the pictures in this blog and a larger size will open.  I highly suggest this, because the small versions here don't do some of the photos justice.)




My third day in Barcelona started out a shaky one. It has been extremely hot and humid here and I was pretty dehydrated from the day before and despite drinking loads of water, my body was telling me to take it easy. So I got a late start on what I planned to be my "Gaudi day". I had bought tickets to see one of Barcelona's main attractions, Segrada Familia, online the day before so as to avoid standing in lines. I had a late afternoon appointment and so after I got out and started it was almost noon already.

I find transportation to be daunting here in Barcelona. Most Spaniards would probably think that the public transportation options here to be plentiful and useful. I, on the other hand find them overwhelming and confusing. There is an extensive subway system here and there are also buses, trams and trains... even funiculars and cable cars. Alas, what mode of transportation do I decide to take on my 3rd day here in Barcelona? The Autobus Tourista! You've seen them, the big red, doubledecker buses that follow a pathway throughout the streets of most major cities in the world. The last time I took one was in London with my mom, and it was fun and absolutely served its purpose, but... as a citizen of Hollywood, I am constantly inundated with tour buses and vans, and the hoards of tourists that come to Los Angeles to see our city. The thing is, these buses are such a great deal if you want to see the city, and hop on and off throughout the day. I had to make the humbling decision and realization that I too, am a tourist... No sense navigating the public transportation like a local. I had to be efficient in my transportation since there was so much to see and so little time. Plus... I wasn't feeling well and it was so hot outside. So there I was... sucking it up, buying the 27 euro ticket and climbing up the stairs to the top of the bus (oh and free wifi too, a hot commodity for one without 3G service).
View from atop the Autobus Tourista

My first stop was the Casa Batllo, the former home of Antoni Gaudi, Spanish modernism architect extrordinaire. Here is some info on him and the site: Casa Batllo
Using my 3 euro discount coupon given to me when I purchased the bus ticket, I opted to get the audio/visual tour, with a small iPad like device with headphones. This gave the visitor the option to hold up the camera on the device at various locations throughout the multistory house, and see a virtual reality of what the house looked like at the time it was furnished. Listening to the explanations of Gaudi's reasoning for all the choices he made and then seeing them applied in the house was fascinating.
 
Some of his main ideas included using all curved lines throughout the house, taking ideas of the ocean and bringing them into his design, and the colorful mosaics using small pieces of tile to accommodate all the curved lines. Here are some pictures from the house:







After leaving the house, I grabbed some more water and hopped right back up on the big red bus for my appointment at Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi church started by Gaudi in 1883 . 

Upon first glance of this massive church and standout feature of the neighborhood, aside for the masses of "other tourists", I realized the scaffolding and construction going on at the church. My first instinct was to think, "Awww man, seriously? I'm here now and I have to see all this construction... bad timing!!" Then I recalled in my reading about this church that it still hasn't been finished, nearly 85 years after Guadi's death. Alright then... I'll put up with it.
There was a minor time glitch with my appointment into the church. I had apparently been running 1 hour ahead since I arrived in Barcelona on my watch... which is weird to think about all that I had done prior to that day and thought it was one time when it was another. Oh well, time only matters on vacation when you have an appointment or train ticket... no harm done. Though I am still convinced that someone changed my watch when I was sleeping... Ha!

I grabbed the audio tour again, and started on the outside. Blah, blah, "resurrection", blah blah, "statues"... Then I was instructed to enter the church... oh my! What can I say about this place??? Took my breath away... truly. An architectural masterpiece like I have never seen before! The audio tour instructed me to "take a moment to reflect and be mindful of the environment, regardless of religion or beliefs." So I sat down in the church and listened to the organs playing and took it all in. Please enjoy...







I met a nice man from China who was visiting Barcelona for a conference. We went up to the church's towers at the same time in another prior booked appointment. We took pictures of each other at the top and he was interested to learn about the American education system when I told him I was a teacher. Don't get me started...



After the grandeur of Sagrada Familia, I was too tired to move on to my third Gaudi destination (it was 6pm already), so I hopped on the red bus and decided to take the rest of the tour, through the Eixample neighborhood. I took advantage once again of the free wifi (btw... it's prounounced "wee-fee" here thanks to the "long e" of the letter i), and texted some friends back home who have iPhones and iMessage). Then, when realized that I didn't really have any other plans for the evening at that point, I hopped off the bus at a change spot, and got onto the Red Route (previously on the Blue Route). This bus route was included in the price and so... when in Rome... (or Barcelona) and a tourist, LIKE ME, take the ride!! Here are some pics of the 2 hour ride I took around the Montjuic (translates to: Jew Mountain, where the Jews had to go live during the Inquisition) area, the Seafront, and a few other neighborhoods I hadn't yet seen.
This is the stadium where the Spanish soccer (football)  team plays.  This city is crazy over their Barça team!

A sculpture by well known Spanish artist, Joan Miro.

The stadium where the 1992 Summer Olympics were played.

A beautiful building along the route.

Barcelona's harbor

After  long day, at 8:30pm it was still light out (it stays light out till 10:00pm during the summer), and I was exhausted.  I made my way back to the El Raval neighborhood where I was staying, and stopped for dinner at a restaurant in the neighborhood that was suggested by my host, Carlos.  He said this place was a favorite for locals and he guaranteed I would love my meal... which I did! 

I ordered tapas: chorizo, spicy potatoes, and mixed vegetables.  All delicious!
Finally home at 10pm... utterly exhausted but very satisfied after another amazing day in Barcelona.  Tomorrow, an adventure:  a train trip to the coastal town of Sitges to see an old friend!
Thanks for following me!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly! So glad you enjoyed visiting Barcelona! I can't wait to see your post/photos of Sitges and the rest of your trip!
    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note letting me know you were here!! Thanks!